Saturday 1 March 2014

Overnight Oats Recipe

I've been doing lots of variations of overnight oats which have been getting some attention on Instagram so I thought I'd share how I make them. 


I start with a basic recipe to make a batch of plain oats- this tastes delicious just by itself and I have often just eaten it as is without adding any extras.

Basic Overnight Oats
Makes 1 serving

1 cup of oats
1 tbsp of chia seeds
1 tbsp of ground flaxseeds
2 cups of milk (I like to use almond milk because it tastes really creamy and delicious but I often just use regular milk!)

I just put everything in a jar, put the lid on, give it a shake and pop it in the fridge. 

I use an old yellow Rosemary Conley Portion Pot as a cup (it holds 125ml) as I find this is the perfect amount to fill me up and it fits in a jam jar just right!

I do this in the evening then in the morning I can just grab the jar from the fridge and pimp it up if I fancy it (ie. have time/enough hands)! 
You don't need to use a jar, I used to just put it in a mug, give it a stir and cover it with a bit of cling film. Or you could use a plastic tub with a lid.... whatever you have to hand basically!

Here are some of the variations I have done by adding extra bits just before I eat:
Almond and Blueberry - I add a tbsp of almond butter, and a small handful each of blueberries and almonds. 
Banana and Cinnamon- I add a tsp of cinnamon and a sliced banana. 
Fig and Almond- I add a tbsp of almond butter, a small handful of almonds and 2 sliced dried figs. 

I love the addition of a nut butter, it makes it really creamy and luxurious. 

The last few days I have gotten a bit experimental and added extra items to the basic recipe so all the flavours can mingle overnight:

Turkish Delight- I added 2tbsp of drinking chocolate and a tsp of rose water. In the morning I topped it with a little natural yoghurt, I think it would be amazing with a drizzle of rose syrup and a few chopped pistachios as well!

Easter Biscuit- I added a tbsp of cashew nut butter, a tsp of mixed spice and a handful of raisins. In the morning I topped it with a little natural yoghurt and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Adding the dried fruit the night before meant it had time to absorb some of the milk and plump up a bit- delicious!!

For tomorrow I have made some 'Nutella' oats by adding 2 tbsp drinking chocolate and a handful of hazelnuts. I think hazelnut butter would have been a nice addition to this (I would have used it if I had it!) - I hope it tastes as good as I imagine. 


I hope this inspires you to make your own flavour combinations, have you tried anything that you would recommend?

Sarah xx



No comments:

Post a Comment